photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Adventures in Barcelona: Part Two

IMG_3546

After visiting the Sagrada Familia, which I wrote about in yesterday’s post, we headed up to another of Gaudí’s treasures, the Parc Guell. It is set above the city and was originally intended to be a gated community of sorts for the city’s elite. The concept never really took off and the space eventually became a park. It was created in Gaudi’s signature style of modernismo and features many mosaics made from broken tiles and pottery.

IMG_3552

{There are two gate houses at the main entrance which were inspired by the gingerbread house in Hansel and Gretel.}

 IMG_3559

IMG_3572 

IMG_3580

IMG_3582 

IMG_3603

IMG_3605

IMG_3618

{View of the Sagrada Familia from the Parc Guell}

IMG_3619

IMG_3633

IMG_3636

IMG_3639

{Greek Key!}

IMG_3911

{The following day, we decided to explore the Gothic Quarter and pay a visit to the Barcelona Cathedral which dates back to 1298 and the Picasso Museum. Sadly, photography is not allowed at the Picasso Museum. However, both sites were excellent and are “musts” in my opinion.}

 IMG_3710

{The Cathedral’s Facade}

IMG_3716

{The Cathedral was designed in the Gothic Style}

IMG_3722

{Glorious Gothic Architecture}

IMG_3727

{The Altar}

IMG_3776 {Usually, only convents and monasteries have cloisters, but the Barcelona Cathedral is an exception. At the time that the church was built, there were so many rich merchants in the city, that they had to build a cloister in order to accommodate more private family chapels. Back then, the wealthy believed that having their own chapel at the cathedral would bring them closer to God.}

IMG_3780

{A Beautiful Old Door}

IMG_3797

{The monks used to keep geese in the cloisters’ garden because they would honk if there was an intruder. The tradition lives on and there are 13 geese in the cloisters at all times.}

IMG_3833

{If you visit the Barcelona Cathedral, be sure to pay the small fee to ride the elevator to the rooftop. It offers sweeping views of the city.}

IMG_3866

{View of Montjuic from the Cathedral}

IMG_3870

{It was a bit windy up there!}

IMG_3901

{Catalonian and Spanish Flags Flying Side by Side}

 IMG_3914

{Beautiful Photo of a Statue outside of the Cathedral taken by my Husband}

IMG_3931 {A Beautiful Old Door near the Picasso Museum}

IMG_3935

{The Barri Gótic, or Gothic Quarter is a maze of old streets. It is nearly impossible for a tourist to know where he or she is going, but it is so fun to wander around and stumble upon beautiful treasures.}

IMG_3944

{Clearly, this building is in disarray, but I found it rather charming nonetheless.}

IMG_3951{The Placa St. Jaume reminded me a lot of Rome}

 IMG_3956

{This Gorgeous Medieval Street whose name escapes me at the moment is right off of the Placa St. Jaume.}

IMG_3963

IMG_3967

{Beautiful Quatrefoil Ironwork}

IMG_3971

{One of the things that I loved most about Barcelona is that it is a vibrant, modern city with an historic, medieval heart. It is filled with so many brilliant types of architecture. You can stroll down the elegant Passeig de Grácia, checking out Chanel and Carolina Herrera one moment, and then revel in the charming, small-town ambiance of the Old Town.}

 

I still have plenty more to share about my trip to Barcelona! Tomorrow’s post promises to be much more design-driven.

 

Image Credit: Paloma Contreras for La Dolce Vita

Please do not use any of these images without my consent.

12 comments:

LimePalmtree said...

The pictures are beautiful. It has been years since I been to Spain. I never got the chance to see this city. I have added it to my bucket list :) Thanks for sharing. -P

Unknown said...

So beautiful! I want to go!! The cathedral is breathtaking!!

Sarah (Matters of Style) said...

Love seeing your pictures! Beautiful!

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

These posts really bring me back! Gaudi's imagination is really something unique and the things he created are amazing.

I also *loved* the Barri Gotic. Such a beautiful area, so rich in history.

chateaudelu said...

SO JEALOUS! I honestly think you and Fabian should adopt me, especially when on vacation. Whenever you're ready just let me know.

Visual Vamp said...

Brings back lots of great memories.
Just love seeing Barcelona again through your eyes.
xo xo

Karen Davis said...

I have been to Spain and you definitely have shown its beauty! The people are so friendly and nice.

Emily@VitaNostra said...

Gorgeous! I just visited Barcelona the first time in April and fell in love with the city. I can't wait to return! Thanks for the memories!!

Anna @ IHOD said...

ahhh I am so jealous you got to go to spain!
It is one of my dreams since I have spanish roots and love the language.
Thanks for giving me a glimpse! :)

Alexandra said...

This pictures are stunning. I was in Barcelona 2 years ago and these pictures remind me of such happy times frolicing about. How much do you love Parc Guell? If you get a chance, Grenada is a must!
Keep posting pictures and have fun!
Xo

Mary said...

Paloma, these photos are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

I'll be moving to the Balearic Islands in two months, and am excited to experience a visit or two to Barcelona during my one-year stay. Your "musts" and recommended places to visit are at the top of my list! :)

LindsB said...

OMG, I loved Parc Guell AND the Picasso museum, both are filled with the most amazing work from two seriously talented men :)